Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - standard of living
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

standard of living

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Moving to Almeria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunandsand13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: standard of living Reply with quote

Hi All

Would an income of roughly 20,000 per annum enable one person who is retired with no dependants have a reasonable standard of living in Almeria. The person would be thinking of renting a small apartment and would not run a car. icon_question.gif
View users profile Send private message
Personal-CD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you classify as a good standard, but I would say the answer is easily for a single person.
sunandsand13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: cost of basic living - low or high Reply with quote

What I meant was being able to afford rent on a small apartment, household bills - food, toiletries, utility bills etc., I am a retired person who leads a quiet life. My main concern would probably be on-going care for an existing medical condition. My income consists of a UK pension and an occupational pension.
Adeybrown
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is yes, a very good standard of living. I could have a great standard of living in Almeria on 10,000. If you spend 10 at one of the markets you can set yourself up with food for the week. 10 at the Consum for all other bits and pieces, 15 for bills, 55 for rent, 20 clothes/shoes...roughly say 120 a week for basic expenses so around say 500 per month. Leaves you with around 1000 a month to spend on luxuries and healthcare. I have no idea of healthcare costs
sunandsand13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: standard opf living Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned I don't live the high life - never have done really. My living needs are quite basic. The climate makes up for a lot. I think that I would have to pay a certain amount towards prescriptions as I am on permanent medication but that would be no problem. I will have to check out the on-going health care provision as I do have cardiac problems. I read that if a person is receiving a UK pension then that person is entitled to Spanish state run health care paid for by the UK Government, but of course I would have to check this out.
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I know have all returned to the UK once they get medicle problems as stated elsewhere on this forum,ie regarding translation/prescription/taxi cost ect
kianda
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you receive a state pension then yes you will be entitled to state healthcare here. Don't forget that you may have to pay tax here - if you are fiscally resident in Spain you will need to complete a tax return every year and that will determine whether or not you need to pay tax. You are usually liable for tax unless your income is subject to the dual taxation agreement, and even that has changed so you will need to get good advice on this from somewhere like Fox Financial Services in Mojacar.
sunandsand13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: advice on taxation Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. The tax system does seem complicated. I have noted the financial services that you mentioned as I would need proper advice on this.
jimbob
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 20,000 a year I reckon I could live like a king in Spain.If you estimate 3500 per year for rent on a small place.That leaves 16,500 for bills and food(about 317.00 per week).Perhaps someone on here with experience of living in Spain would be able to tell you what their weekly bills would be ?.
Adeybrown
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy189 wrote:
Most people I know have all returned to the UK once they get medicle problems as stated elsewhere on this forum,ie regarding translation/prescription/taxi cost ect

I think this is a bit disingenuous. I understand your point for people who have a terminal illness or a severe/long term illness that requires weekly blood tests, check ups, scans etc but for somebody who just has a condition that requires regular medication it shouldn't be a problem.

I know a number of people who live out in Garrucha/Vera/Turre full time and they all have conditions ranging from Pacemakers to Kidney problems to IBS etc.

Its also worth noting that this isn't Australia, at any point you are just a few hours flight away from the UK.

Just whilst we mention Health. My father had Liver Cancer and lived in the UK, died within 9 months, they did the operations, chemo etc but the only thing that could have saved him would have been a transplant and you have no chance of that in the UK unless you are under 55 or have a few years to wait. An Ex Pat in Turre that we know (same age as my dad) had the same condition and within 3 months he was taken down to Malaga hospital and given a transplant. Apparently in Spain it isn't an issue.

I think personally if I had a long term illness I would prefer to be back in the UK but that doesn't mean the treatment would be any better, it would just be more comfortable having people around me speaking English.
Adeybrown
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another point as well. I know you mention you wouldn't run a car. I personally would suggest that you had a car if living out in Almeria. It can get a bit boring in Winter and without a car to just tootle around to the various markets etc it could drive you stir crazy. Its also great to try some of the different supermarkets, beaches, restaurants etc and many of these are impossible to get to on buses (Public Transport is a little bit random in my experience)
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you say a bit disingenuous , when your last paragraph agrees with my statement ?
I'm just trying to point out the problems people have cost wise with illness as stated elsewhere on this site NOT the treatment as it is very good as my wife found out when she had a fall a couple of years back, the treatment speed/Xray and diagnosis were 10 times faster than in the UK
sunandsand13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Happy with replies Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies. I feel very drawn to a retirement life in Spain. I feel that it is right for me. I do not have close family in the UK, so there's no one to leave behind. Even if there was, Spain is not that far away. I do not speak Spanish and I never thought that I would ever need to. Now I will be making an effort to learn some of it. I have plans to go back and forward to Almeria for a while to suss things out etc.,
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

''I have plans to go back and forward to Almeria for a while to suss things out etc.,''

That is the best thing to do, you should get a 2 bed flat on the beach road [bus service runs frequently ] for under 300 per month if it is for long term, will be some steps involved as not much on street level
rossiterm
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of valid points, suggestions & advice from those with experience of living in Almeria.

I don't think anyone's mentioned the exchange rate which I guess would affect how many euros you'll get for your pension.

Way back - 7 or 8 years' ago - you'd be able to get around 1.35 euros or more for your pound. Was it 2 or 3 years' ago when that had dropped to almost parity? Now it's close to 1.25 so a good improvement.

Worth taking into account, although the advice is that your 20k will cover you nicely for the lifestyle you mention.

Good luck

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Moving to Almeria All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: