Almeria Travel Mate

Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Mojacar Playa’s English speaking and popular Doctor
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Mojacar Playa’s English speaking and popular Doctor

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Puerto Marina, Mojacar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squire
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Mojacar Playa’s English speaking and popular Doctor Reply with quote

It has been reported to me from a usually reliable source that the Mojacar Playa’s English speaking and popular Doctor, Daniel did not leave of his own free will but was forced out by Mojacar’s apparently anti English Mayor .

If true - Is this another example of Mojacar councils discriminatory policy towards the English, after the removal of café signs in English from the playa pavements whilst Spanish ones are allowed to remain. Cessation of the Mojacar Tourist Information in English, etc – all very sad.

All most of us want to do is live peacefully and in harmony with our Spanish neighbours. When will these bigots realise we love Spain, pay our taxes, support the local economy by choosing to live here, but many of us are too old or lack the linguistic ability to learn fluent Spanish and need a little compassion in return.
View users profile Send private message
Oakesani
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when did he leave?
squire
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just after Christmas, he had been replaced in the regular surgery last week. I understand he worked (and may still be doing so) his notice out as the emergency call Doctor.
Oakesani
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't see that the Mayor could have the influence to get rid of a doctor purely because he is a popular with the English (sounds a little like a persecution complex on behalf of some English) - I think Dr Daniel just wanted to move on - he certainly seemed happy enough when we saw him at the beginning of January, while he was working out his notice.

Anyway, we have just been to see the new Doctor, Dr Fernando Modenhauer Carrillo and he is very nice indeed.

Our problem wasn't medical it was just repeat prescription so i was prepared to wing it with my spanish - he understood and replied in quite good english icon_biggrin.gif , certainly better than my Spanish icon_redface.gif

I told him next time i would come with interpreter, to make it easier for him, especially if a medical problem needs to be discussed, but he said not to worry - he needs to improve his English so i can do my best in Spanish and he will do likewise in English icon_biggrin.gif

Despite his response, we would always take an interpreter if there is a medical problem that needs total understanding on both sides - it is only fair to Dr Fernando - not right to expect him to speak English.
squire
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Oakesani,

No not English paranoia, to establish my provenance, my Father was Spanish my mother English - I have a foot in either camp, Spanish friends and relations and only a normal human persecution complex.

If you doubt that strange things are happening to English residents (remember the blatant padron fiasco at the last election) I suggest you try checking at the town hall if you haven't received your euro election papers - seems the only person who can deal with an enquiry has been sick for the last couple of weeks and it is unknown when they will return.

When we visited the new doctor he reduced my wife to tears by his abrupt and unpleasant manner. The Spanish lady translator we took with us (57 years living in England doesn't improve your Spanish) told me he was very rude and that it was only for her clients sake (us) that she didn't take him to task there and then.

In fairness it was only his second week at the practice and presumably he was under pressure, which he wasn’t professional enough to handle?

Luckily we have not had to visit him since, so in fairness I will reserve my final judgement for the future.

Can't agree with your view that we can't expect him to speak English, why not? I am told 63 % of his resident Mojacar Playa patients are English and English is the worlds number one communication language , not some obscure provincial dialect.

The Spanish system is well paid by the EU to treat us -we are the paying customers, not here on sufferance - respond to our needs.

There is no substitute for speaking to someone direct, trying to speak to a Doctor via an interpreter, however skilled is very unsatisfactory.

Doubt we will agree - but hey, I feel better!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Puerto Marina, Mojacar All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: