Almeria Travel Mate

Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Aquazul. I wouldn't.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Aquazul. I wouldn't.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Personal-CD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepino wrote:
The rules say no website links on posts.

Where, exactly, is this 'rule'? As one of the one in three, I will remove my link if that's what the rules say, but I can't find it. In fact, it's quite a common practice on many, many, forums for people to include links in their signature file. I doubt if more than one in fifty actually looks at them though icon_smile.gif .

mozzieblue
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal-CD wrote:
pepino wrote:
The rules say no website links on posts.

Where, exactly, is this 'rule'? As one of the one in three, I will remove my link if that's what the rules say, but I can't find it. In fact, it's quite a common practice on many, many, forums for people to include links in their signature file. I doubt if more than one in fifty actually looks at them though icon_smile.gif .

I believe he means this

"4) No Advertising or Public Recommendations.
Advertising your property, goods or services clogs up the forum. Is's a message board for getting in touch with and helping others. Please don't post adverts. Any we spot will be deleted. If you spot any, please let us know (send me a private message by clicking the 'PM' icon below, treated in confidence) and we'll delete it.

Recommendations for companies is also considered advertising. This is not allowed in public posts but feel free to recommened whoever and whatever you like in a private message.

Also, please respect that we run a directory service with free and paid listings to fulfill this need. Hey, we're just a small company and need to havce an income to run this web site"

Nothing about putting a link in your sig, which is normal and has been accepted since Usenet was young.

If they start to get all nasty about it I will just stop posting; and what the hell set up my own Almeria site where business can have free listings. A kind of public service if you will. Maybe somewhere that people can rate the business? After all you pitch up here see an ad for a business, you don't know if it's any good. Just because they can aford the 60 for listing don't mean they are any good.

www.indalo-computers.com

Powered by the penguin
View users profile Send private message
Personal-CD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepino

Although I can now see on what you base your comments, I have to say that it hardly constitutes a 'rule' and it most certainly is not in the Board Rules. You can hardly expect that we have all read every post here (I certainly haven't) so, unless it's a real rule, then I think you're being a bit hard to expect everyone to abide by a comment that was made in a post.

Secondly, as mozzieblue has said, putting links in a signature is as old as the hills and you will find this sort of thing going on all over the 'net. I don't think too many people see this as 'advertising' and, of course, it's hardly a recommendation icon_smile.gif .

Furthermore, in my particular case, I run a business that is unique to the area, so I can't be accused of stepping on a competitors toes or gaining an unfair advantage.

Personal-CD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepino wrote:
Mike Gibbs was at the time a Viva Almeria moderator and was posting clarification of the house rules.

Mike owns the site!

pepino wrote:
But I agree with you that it makes more sense for it to be included in the house rules rather than posts on individual topics.

Of course. In fact it's the only fair way to do it.

pepino wrote:
This is starting to grow out of proportion and I don't really care that much about the website footers.

I don't think many people care about them and I think even fewer actually click on them icon_smile.gif .

pepino wrote:
My preference would be to keep them out as the only reason for putting them there is personal advertising. BHut it's not that big a deal. What I do care about is that there should be a level playing field and that we all operate to the same rules.

As we are at the moment, we are all all using the same rules, i.e. the ones that are published as the "Board Rules", so I would say we are on a level playing field.

pepino wrote:
Perhaps the best solution would be for the moderators to sort out what rules they do want and revise and reissue the house rules and drop all the additional rule posts.

Yes. The only rules are those that are designated as such. It's totally impractical to rely on individual comments made in specific threads.

lmjohn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be an idea to open another thread about this as this has bugger all to do with the original post?
Leighton
View users profile Send private message
mozzieblue
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmjohn wrote:
Perhaps it would be an idea to open another thread about this as this has bugger all to do with the original post?
Leighton

Such is life.

www.indalo-computers.com