Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Empty Swimming pool
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Empty Swimming pool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
border

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Empty Swimming pool Reply with quote

I am thinking of emptying my pool for the winter, I have heard many comments that the walls will collaspe if the water is out for any time.
Does anyone have the truth on this subject.
Pool is standard construction, concete & Reinforced 8x5m
thanks
View users profile Send private message
liverbird
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: empty pool Reply with quote

hope this isnt true mine has been empty nearly two years no collapse yet
jojo
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it!!!!!!

When the pool is empty all will seem OK because there is no pressure.
But it is at mercy to the hot sun etc.

Fill it up again...then watch out!
jovie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a good idea to drain a pool.
Why???

Read this site to find out why
http://swimming.about.com/od/poolandspamaintenance/qt/drainswimpool.htm
TheSheriff
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If professionally built pools can have all those problems - I'm glad I built my own - we used to empty it every winter for 4 - but now we just leave it and shock it before using the following year.
jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine the waste of water if every pool were to be emptied every year in a country with water shortages.

Note in some areas there is a heafty fine for doing this and for refilling from the mains water supply.

A pool takes very little to maintain during the winter and if a cover were fitted even less.

A cover will save 95% on evaporation, but also when you have evaporation ypou leave behind all the undesirable 'undisolved solids' calcium etc. which build up in the pool and cause problems with water balance and scaling.

Regards, Dave

jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would indeed........ but that could be said about most things.
Fore example every region has different rules regarding the chemicals used, Min./Max Chlorine levels, ph, Cyanuric Acid.

In Murcia you can be fined (if caught) 3,000 Euros for filling a pool from the mains supply.

Regards, Dave

jojo
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pepino icon_biggrin.gif

Do a google - the below is one of the hundreds of links advising against draining a CONCRETE pool.

Empty a pool and any guarantee is null and void.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081105082518AAQOqHi

Jo

If you had met jbsupplies you would know that they were one of 'the good guys' . I have used their services which are cost effective and professional. Their after-sales service cannot be faulted. Also they have saved me a fortune with the advice they have given .

Last edited by jojo on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total
jovie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepino wrote
The website quoted refers to fibreglass and liner pools and no-one has produced any evidence that an empty concrete pool will lift or collapse.

Well you certainly didn't read the link I sent properly because below is about concrete pools.

Inground Concrete Pools and Fibergalss Pools
Here, you are dealing with the same groundwater problems as for a vinyl pool. Most inground fibergalss and concrete pools are built structurally to withstand the weight of the dirt against them when drained. However, if the ground water is high enough, it can push the entire pool out of the ground. The pool shell acts like a ship and floats up in the ground water.

jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, any pool drained is in danger of movement depending on the local water table and rainfall.

Another consideration should be that a pool is dangerous when filled with water but a lot more dangerous when empty unless is is securly fenced.

Regards, Dave

jovie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should have appeared at the bottom of my last posting

.....I, 2nd and 3rd the point jojo made about Dave of JB Supplies being one of the GOOD guys. Must have cost himself a lot of work answering the many queries on this site over many years as you would see pepino IF you could ever be bothered to check or read postings properly icon_rolleyes.gif
jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jovie for your kind words,
Our company strives to raise the levels of information regarding pool maintenance and sanitising whether that be with the use of commercially produced chemicals or systems that manufacture their own chemicals in the pool.

There are many myths about maintaining a swimming pool and of course if we had a catchment of people buying chemicals every month we would not want to stop that business but the facts are, simple and direct control is much cheaper and more benificial whatever methods are employed.
Consideration should always be given to exactly what chemicals are being placed in the pool and what side effects can be experienced by incorrect use or overdosing as these can have quite severe effects on the pool structure, equipment and people using the pool.

Best regards, Dave

jojo
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some folks who only contribute to the forum when they think they can make a sale.
They are easily spotted.
But there are estate agents, pool companies, electricians, plumbers, property managers etc. who give advice because they know what they are on about!! These , I call the 'Good Guys'.

I suppose the wise thing to do is get as much advice as possible from as many knowledgeable sources as you can and then make a decision.

jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepino wrote:
jovie wrote:
.....I, 2nd and 3rd the point jojo made about Dave of JB Supplies being one of the GOOD guys.

But you and jojo do me a disservice if you are suggesting that I have said that he is one of the bad guys. I have said nothing either way about him personally and, given what you both say about him, I am happy for you both. The point that I was making (and stick to) is that you should always ask yourself whether "advice" from someone with a financial interest in the topic is influenced by their potential gain.

Pepino, I don't think there was ever any intention to discredit you.
You are right to remind readers of this any any other subject on the Internet that all information is not necessarily correct or without bias.

It is true that my company and likewise myself have a commercial interest in swimming pools, pool owners should also have enough interest in an investment of 10~30,000 euros to ensure it is looked after and also maintained in the best interests of people, property and finance unless of course you can simply have a continuous payout for replacing the various components that make up a swimming pool and all the disruption that this can take.
Taken seriously, for what reason would you empty a pool every year, I cannot think of one. But the original question has been answered and with many derivatives added in for good measure.

The conclusion should be it is not a good idea or a requirement to empty a pool in winter.

Regards, Dave

border

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their replies to my question, it was never my intention to drain the pool just to leave it empty for the Winter. I have been advised the Pool needed a thorough cleaning and should be drained for this to happen. So I just though if it was drained why not leave it empty to the spring hence my question.
Well it seems that from your advice I need to fill after the clean.

Border
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Swimming Pools All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: