Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Mini Crimewave at Phase 4
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Mini Crimewave at Phase 4

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Puerto Marina, Mojacar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustymar1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Mini Crimewave at Phase 4 Reply with quote

I'm just back from my holidays and I just wanted to let everyone in PM know that we have been experiencing a mini crimewave in Phase 4.

This year at least 5 of our apartments have been broken into, with 3 of the burglaries occurring over the past few weeks.

In one burglary in June the front door of an apartment beside our pool was jemmied open while the owners were shopping in Mercadona.

Three weeks ago two more apartments were broken into while the respective owners were out for meals.Entry was gained by forcing the patio doors using a jemmy.

Only last week a further break-in occurred at teatime while the family was only a short distance away at the pool. Once again entry was gained by forcing open the patio doors.

On all occasions occupied apartments have been targetted with the thieves after only money and small items of value (jewellery, cameras, iPods etc). Passports have also been taken but only, it would appear, because they were in safes that were prised from the wall. So far only British families have been the victims of this crime.

A number of people have actually seen the thieves and their vehicles, but did not regard them as suspicious at the time.

The ringleader of the gang appears to be a man in his 50's , of medium height and build. He has short dark wavy hair, bald or going bald on top. He also has a thick dark moustache and wears glasses (on course these could have been sunglasses).

His partner is about 20 years , is of medium height and build and has dark, wavy collar lenght hair. Wears shorts and a white T-shirt. (He could pass for a son of the first man).

Some children have also said there was a third man involved whose description is similar to number 2. Although this has not been confirmed it is quite possible that three persons were involved, given the way the burglaries have taken place. ie. The balding man sits in the getaway car, number 2 does the actual burglary while number 3 watches the victims and warns the other two of any early return.

In relation to vehicles, the balding man and suspect number two have been seen doing a recce in a large black (or very dark coloured car), possibly a Jaguar or something of similar appearance (ie. one of the large Kias). They have also been seen in a small white car, possibly a Peugeot. This has been the getaway car used in the last four break-ins.

In addition to these crimes, we have also had 2 blue and white sunbeds (each costing 100 euros) stolen from our pool area at night.

Also some of our residents and their guests have had the sides of their vehicles scored with keys. These vehicles were parked on the main road just outside the entrance to Phase 3. Two of these incidents happened only last week in the morning.

Any information regarding these matters would be greatly appreciated. It is in everyone's interest to stop this current crime trend and make Puerto Marina a safe and pleasant place to stay once again
View users profile Send private message
KevinR
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustimar, appreciate this 'Heads Up' on this and sorry to hear of these problems.
There have been reports of 'squatters' in the area so I have passed your posting details on to owners and residents in Fases 1 to 3 for whom I have email addresses asking if they have any helpful info.
I know they are quite vigilant of strangers and may well have noticed when passing Fase 4. There were some broken sunbeds and commercial umbrellas dumped by the collection point. Perhaps they swapped their broken items for yours, so there may be a clue if anyone knows where they may have come from, which will help the police track them down.
rustymar1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The guys with the dreadlocks, dogs, and lorry were there when we were there. They originally parked in Phase 4 carpark, but we asked them to move. They then shifted their lorry to the top of the hill.

As far as I know they were not squatters, nor were they all sleeping in the lorry as has been suggested. I actually saw them going into the Phase 3 block carrying their suitcases and one of our permanent residents told me they were staying with some girl who has an apartment there.

Anyway, they're gone now and I'm 100% sure that they had nothing to do with any of the criminal matters I drew attention to.

The burglaries were committed by a moustached, balding, dark haired man in his 50's accompanied by 1 or 2 dark haired youths in their 20's.
Doc
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scratching of cars near Phase 3 Pool has been going on for 2 or 3 years. I dont think its related to the break ins.

Would you say it was occupied apartments only and they had been watching.

Doc
rustymar1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

The car scratching, sunbed stealing and burglaries are completely unrelated.

I believe that those responsible for scratching cars and pinching our sunbeds don't live a million miles away, but I'm certainly not pointing the finger at anyone.

In relation to the burglaries, only occupied apartments have been targetted, usually people out for a couple of weeks. So far only British families have been the victims, although we have quite a lot of Spanish on our phase. It may be that if Spanish properties were targetted the police would come under greater pressure to catch those responsible.(As things stand the police are doing very little; they don't even lift fingerprints or footprints.) Also a lot of the Spanish just come down for weekends, so they may not have as much cash in their possession as holiday makers.

It is clear that the burglary gang does keep an eye on their victims and any patterns they set, before carrying out their attacks.

I hope this is helpful.

Russell
Doc
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
We need to be vigilant.
A security guard between 160 owners must be worth discussion.
I calculate it at around 300 Euros each per annum for 24hr protection.
Any Takers?

Doc
colint42
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to get an outside webcam that can be remote controled there not expensive, but you do need adsl and a fixed ip address and a hosting company like the one in mojacar, and you can connect a dvd recorder up to it as well if you want to more just ask ..
colint

squire
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further update on the break-ins, someone tried to jemmy open our entrance door today or last night. Luckily they didn't succeed, its a metal frame and door - just bent the frame and marked the door, probably disturbed by someone.

We also have a pretty stout metal inner door and alarm system, but it is a very unpleasant feeling that a try has been made and very worrying that these thieves are still actively targeting P.M. Seems like the are now moving to fase 2!

Squire
rustymar1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Squire, I'm glad they didn't succeed. It sounds like the same gang involved. In the first burglary at Phase 4 in June this year they jemmied open the front door of an apartment by the pool, while the owners were out at Mercadona.
I've given a fairly good description of the culprits and their vehicles in my first post. You should make sure that everyone in your phase knows what they look like and be more vigilant.
squire
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this but I am not convinced it is external people at work. Someone is observing routines and patterns and you don't do that with an occasional visit in a car people are looking out for.

In the case of the break-ins on 4 they knew not only where their victims were staying and their nationality but how many people to watch for (I note they didn't try and break into an apartment with anyone left in it). I am not convinced you can do that with an occasional visit.

Also I understand a fairly substantial bar must have been used to lever the terrace doors open - you can't wander around the site with one of those in your hand!

In our case someone has been watching what we do (up to yesterday)every Saturday - the also knew (presumably)we were English, you can't do that with an occasional visit. I hope I am wrong but it makes me wonder who is feeding information to whom.
Squire
vigeeuk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Squire

Im really sorry to hear about the attempted break in.
Somthing needs to be drasticly. God forbid anyone getting harmed next time the lowlifes strick .

Surely we do not need to have a meeting with regards to some sort of security?? The presidents should maybe organsie somthing between themselfs??As they do live on PM full time.

I know for a fact not only speaking for myself but there is a large majority of residents that agree on fase 3 and any decisions made regarding security have my full go ahead

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Puerto Marina, Mojacar All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: