Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - POOL FILTERS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

POOL FILTERS

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve4polly
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: POOL FILTERS Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how often and for how long you have to have the pump on to filter a 8x4 pool please.
View users profile Send private message
Beachcomber
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer I run my filter for a continuous ten hours a day for my wife and myself and the flow rate is sufficient to turn over the entire 75-80 cubic meter capacity of my pool in just under four hours.

Optimum filtration times also depend on the size of the pump and filter in relation to the capacity of the pool as well as the bather load.

The total capacity of the pool should be capable of being turned over every four hours so check the flow which will be shown on the pump, probably in litres per minute or cubic metres per hour, then use the information to calculate the length of time it takes to turn over the total contents of the pool.

My 10x5 pool has a 1,5 hp pump with a flow rate of 18,5 cubic metres per hour but I have seen them with only 0,75 hp with a flow rate of about 12 m3/h which means that a pool of 75 m3 will take over six hours to turn over. In such cases the running time should be increased accordingly.

Pool pumps are designed to operate 24 hours per day seven days a week and, indeed, this is a legal requirement in respect of community pools.

Anything less is a compromise and is merely a money saving exercise.
jbsupplies
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculating flow rates is not that simple, although you are partially correct in turning the volume over twice in 24 hours as a minimum.

Despite the pump having a flow rate on the label you have restrictions in the pipework and filter which is how you get a pressure reading on the filter gauge - so you cannot do a simple calculation of pool volume / flow rate.

Additionally you will have 'quiet' areas in the pool where water has little movement and may not be circulated once in 24 hours let alone twice.

You can use the calculation as a guide only and add some on for the restrictions which depending on pump size, flow volume and pool size will generally work out to between 8~12 hours/day.

Additionally as Beachcomber so rightly points out do not be afraid when the pool is busy to run it for 24 hours/day - far cheaper than trying to recover a green pool.

Check your water balance at least once/day, hotels are every hour.
pH - 7.2~7.6
Chlorine .6~2ppm

Those two are the minimum checks, there are a whole host of others to check and maintain critically.
By throwing handfuls of chemicals in the pool you end up with a chemical soup, chemicals should be measured and added as required in the correct amounts for a healthy pool - those orange labels with X's on are actually hazardous in the wrong quantities.

Any questions drop me an email.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Swimming Pools All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: