Almeria Travel Mate

Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Translators.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Translators.

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deputy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Translators. Reply with quote

As no one has posted from Albox recently I thought I would make this post - It may be useful to someone.

Through having to travel to Almeria Hospital twice at month and Granada quite a few times - I got fed up of taking a translator with me - My round trip to Almeria for treatment took 13 hours - of which she was only actually required for 10 mins - the rest of the time was taken up in waiting / Blood Tests / waiting / Consultaion / waiting / Treatment - and two hours travelling each way morning and evening return.

It used to cost me 130. each trip.

Same at Granada.

So I found Translators in the area and I have used these since and can recommend them.

Almeria Torrecardenas Hospital.

Sharron Halvorsen. Sharron lives approx 30 mins drive from the hospital so she charges 15. for travelling expenses - then 15. per hour for waiting time and the translating time.

e-mail s.halvorsen@btconnect.com Phone 600 585 789

Granada The Virgen de la Nieves Hospital also known as the University Hospital.

Joana Smart. Joana also lives on the outskirts of Granada and also charges 15. for travelling expenses and 15. per hour for waiting time and the translating time.

e-mail joana.smart@yahoo.es Phone 958 051 985 or 658 430 985

I always suggest that when making the final arrangements to meet decide on wearing something distinctive let them know and stick to your choice usually in the reception areas of these hospitals there could be anywhere from 20 to 100 people milling around and if they know to look for someone wearing something they know about it makes making contact a lot easier.

If anyone is having to go to Torrecardenas Almeria or Granada Hospital for the first time and requires directions PM me their e-mail address and I will send them.
View users profile Send private message
JC
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a really helpful post. Hope I never need them but good to have the info if I do - thanks Deputy
Oakesani
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Deputy - I know exactly what you mean about sitting around with an interpretor, paying for their time when not actually doing anything.
When Keith, my hubby, first went to Torrecardenas for chemo we had someone with us and yes, cost was around 90 euros. After that we managed on our own for the next year, which is easier once you know the format of the day icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif His last chemo was on 2nd August and hopefully there won't be any more - but we are waiting on results etc. etc.

Keith hasn't needed to go to Granada, but I did once ask the question about local interpretors (just in case) and was given one, so thanks for another one to try icon_smile.gif

My other idea was, if there comes a time when Keith is actually hospitalised at Torrecardenas, which may well happen in the future, I would like to be able to rent an apartment near the hospital, to cut out travelling back and forwards from Mojacar to Almeria - so if you ever hear of anyone who has an apartment that they rent out, near to Torrecardenas hospital, I would be very interested to have their contact details.

Hope whatever treatment you are having is going well. We are very happy with the treatment Keith has received so far - and grateful we do not have to put up with the medical 'postcodes' or NHS problems in the UK; we would much rather be ill here in Spain than in the UK

Thanks, once again, for the info
Kind regards
Anita

icon_biggrin.gif
Deputy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakesani, Anita ,

Although my Spanish is reasonable I found I could not manage without an Interpretor when the medical conversations held on every visit, got to deep for me and incomprehensible. Now we only have the local interpretor for an hour or two depending on the waiting time.

I am also very satisfied with the treatment I have recieved - the only let down is as I am about to explain now.

I think from your post you are not actually aware of the system out here - If your husband does have to go into hospital - you or some member of your family will be expected to be with him 24/7 - except for the time he will be in post op intensive care.

The nursing staff 9 times out of 10 only deal with medical treatments injections and so forth - you will be expected to help feeding him if this is required / washing him - and anything else he needs ?

If it is anything like my last stay in Huercal Overa Hospital - he will be one of two - or even just one person in a two bedded room - with relaxer chairs for the family member who is in attendance - these are not very comfortable - so you & him will be glad when he can return home.
cab2
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some really good informative posts there Deputy. My one gripe about this thread is why treatment in the UK has to be slated in a thread about Translators in Spain. Im sure alot of people are very happy with their NHS treatment and it is adds nothing to the thread to make comparisons.
Oakesani
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deputy

It's fine - I do know the system.

My thinking is that if I rented an apartment nearby it would be somwhere for me, or whoever is there, to be able to pop back to for a shower or change, or just have an hour or two break, rather than having to drive back to Mojacar.

I know someone who stayed with her hubby all day and then, at night, she drove back to Mojacar, then drove back to Torrecardenas early next morning - she did this for almost two weeks - she was absolutely worn out and not looking well herself by the end of it....

I am a person who likes to be well prepared and take the stress out of situations if I can icon_biggrin.gif

Pleased you're doing okay - is your treatment finished now or still ongoing?

Regards
Anita
Oakesani
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cab 2
I only said 'NHS problems' I don't think I slated the NHS at all, but if my comment offended you I am happy to delete the sentence if you want me to - just let me know.

I said it because many people fear of having treatment here - I just wanted to say that we were happy with it.

However, as far as the 'postcodes' go my hubby's cancer drug may well not be approved in the area we lived. I can't imagine how people feel when told "we don't approve the drug that will extend your life, because you live in the wrong part of the country" !!! so yes, I'm glad we're not in the NHS now.

Regards
Anita
Deputy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita,

My treatment is still ongoing - another visit on Monday but until I get there I do not know what will happen - I had my first meeting with two surgeons last week - who said they will cancell my Chemo - until I have had another more up todate scan - Due 1st October.

Their verdict on my last scan is an operation is required, otherwise the cancer will see me off - unfortunately the cancer growths are in a very delicate position - and to remove them they may have to take away more of my Liver than is needed to ensure survival afterwards ?

So the new scan is to see if anything has altered.

Akward decisions will have to be made, at present it's a case of Heads I lose - Tails I lose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Albox & Area All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: