Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Backwashing problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Backwashing problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin1209

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Backwashing problem Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone advise as to what may be wrong with the sand filter on my pool. I had the sand changed last September and laterals acid cleaned. Over the winter months the pool has had a winter cover over and the pump used every day to keep things ticking over. I took the winter cover off and started to vacuum the pool today. Obviously it didn't take long for the filter to require backwashing. I did this in the usual manner. I noticed that the water from backwashing was not as dirty as I would have expected to see. I carried on and had to backwash again within 5-10 mins. Again the water coming from the backwash was not really dirty. I removed the top of the sand filter and checked that the sand was loose etc etc. Gave it a good stir up. When I backwashed again the water was dirty as I would have expected. Back to vacuum, 10 mins later it needed backwashing again. Backwash water was fairly clean again. Not sure if this means anything but there was very little noise coming from the filter when backwashing and rinsing. Normally I'm sure you can hear the sand churning around inside. Can anyone help with this issue, I'm completely at a loss to understand why this would be happening.

Thanks
View users profile Send private message
Beachcomber
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why your backwash water is not very dirty but if the floor of the pool has a thick layer of silt etc you should vacuum directly to waste in the first instance. If there are a lot of leaves etc. make sure you clean the pre-filter as well.

If you are going to continue vacuuming through the filter, once you have backwashed try rinsing then backwashing again.

What kind of reading are you getting on the pressure guage?
Colin1209

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. The pressure is reading 1 bar at the moment (the pump is on filter). As I say, the winter cover has just been removed and on a light layer of 'dust' was on the bottom of the pool. Leaves etc were removed with a net prior to vacuum. My problem is that the water coming from the pipe is relatively clean and not the usual dirty brown colour I get after vacuuming. I just wonder if there is something wrong with the multi valve or the laterals(don't know much about laterals other than they are fragile).
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the filter just before the pump, I call it the stone filter, it can furr up with algie over the winter months and slow down the flow of water entering the sand filter, you should have a funny large plastic key that fits over the clear lid on the filter so that you can unscrew, [it looks like a large oil filter fitted to a car ]
Colin1209

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pottsy, I clean that filter regularly so it's not that! Thanks anyway.
Beachcomber
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the pressure rise as you were vacuuming and did it drop again after bacKwashing?

If the multiport valve was removed during the replacement of the sand was it put back in the right position? When on normal filtration the front of the handle should be directly facing the sand filter.
Colin1209

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beachcomber. Yes the pressure did rise to around 1.5 bar but dropped back after backwashing. In all I had to backwash 3-4 times to vacuum a 10 x 5 pool. The only time the water looked dirty was after I had removed the top and manually stirred the sand and then backwashed. The multiport valve wasn't removed during the sand change and is in the correct position. As I was vacuuming the pressure out of the inlets went down until it was barley rippling the water usually an indication that the filter needs backwashing.
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have not put to much sand in , although I can't see that should make a difference ! normally on backwash it floods out about a 10 foot spray from a 2 inch pipe ,if not more, sound like you may have air getting into the self prime pump somehow
Beachcomber
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a possibility. Is there a black knurled knob on top of the sand filter possibly connected to the gauge? If so, whilst backwashing, undo it gradually until air or water starts to come out.

If water comes out straight away close it again but if air is escaping leave it open until all the air has gone and water starts to come out.
Colin1209

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pottsy/Beachcomber

Thanks again both for taking an interest. I have done as you suggested, a little air did come out of the tank followed by water at which time I closed the screw. I continued with the backwash but again the water was fairly clear. This could be because of the 'running repairs' yesterday not leaving any substantial dirt in the filter. I will let you know how I get on next time I vacuum. In the mean time, thanks again.
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the clean gel tablets that you put in the skimmer,I use them and they work great, the water just sparkels, I will send the name when I get back to the UK as I'm in the states at the moment
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry my 36 meg wirless here in the states is rubbish just repeated above message, have no spell check working, back in the UK this Thursday
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the UK, still well jet lagged just remembered my last post the gel you should try is GEL CUBE pool clarifier I got it from the internet, if you have trouble getting it post on here and I will try and dig out the bill
winnny
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young man

I used to have problems washing my back until my daughter bought me one of those long handled brushes. They are very useful. That may cure your problems.

Winnney
pottsy189
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winny
slightly off subject , what is the temperature of your pool at the moment ? if you have one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Swimming Pools All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: