Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - albox
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

albox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimnJo
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alboxian, it was Channel 4 (Place in the Sun) not the BBC.

Both sides have a point here. But, bottom line, the landowners, developers, builders and town hall officials were Spanish and are responsible for the scandal of the illegal builds. Brits were just naive, really.
View users profile Send private message
alboxian
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel4,BBC it's all the same really.TV.I said at the beginning how Albox was a split town,the majority of the natives didn't make vast sums from the Brits.All they see is their town with half finished housing estates,the Brits moaning all the time etc.Naivety is no excuse,ignorance is no excuse.If alot of the Brits hadn't just come out because Channel 4 said it's THE DREAM,but researched the area and local customs,they would have seen that things were to good to be true.Everyone went running to a solicitor,a builder with the promise of paradise.The vast majority of Spanish do not use a solicitor for buying a house,thats an English thing,but when so called legal experts saw that there was alot of money to be made,they jumped on the gravy train,who wouldn't, e.jay summed that point up.I first rolled up into Albox back in the 70's,then it was paradise,but for me, not necessarily the locals,they were just used to that way of life.Research is the KEY,and many didn't.I'm not saying whats right or wrong I was only commenting on what I saw and heard.I will always enjoy going back to see friends and enjoy the peace and quiet my property affords me.
TimnJo
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a lot of that Alboxian, another factor was the huge increase in UK property prices, allowing either remortgages or selling at a vast profit.

We did our research - we wouldn't have bought after we did as we could not have afforded to! But we are not inland. We wanted a holiday home. Watching something like a Place in the Sun, some people move to Spain to be on holiday all the time. This is not a tenable lifestyle! We would not have bought inland cos we don't see that as somewhere to go....on holiday.

We have watched programmes where people have turned down lovely houses in areas with a good community, and chose instead a house in the middle of nowhere, no neighbours, no real infrastructure. They didn't like traditional houses because they are too dark. They choose houses with huge amounts of glass, not realising that there is a reason that people in hot places have small windows - the heat. So they have to use aircon a lot of the time, then moan about the power cuts.

Naivety isn't always an excuse, neither is stupidity. But you cannot deny the role of some Spanish (particularly local politicians) in bringing about the mess.
alboxian
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people had researched Spain properly they would have learnt how corrupt it was,and still is to alarge extent.A holiday home is something quite different,as is being on holiday,I agree, I think alot of people thought it would be a permenent holiday?Thats naivety.Houses at silly money with the promise of all above board,thats ignorance.Part of the fascination about Spain to me was the corruptness and if you played the game things were great.Outsiders comming in and trying to change things thats when the problems start.Uk is UK,Spain is Spain,two totally different countries,and cultures,regardless of the EU partnership.
bigbaz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alboxian, you, like ejay talk as if you werent outsiders

whats your real name, do i know you or were you so wrapped up in the spanish way of life that you didnt talk to us lowlife brits
alboxian
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Baz,calm down,I don't speak like I'm an outsider,I speak from what I see and hear.Keep on Rocking icon_cool.gif
bigbaz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong with a bit of the old devils advocate

i find it incredible that the spanish dont like the brits cos all thats left are a load of skint pensioners, as far as im concerned if it hadnt been for the illegal build situation and the pryors house being demolished the place would still be buzzing, even with the credit crunch, i have no sympathy for the spanish whatsoever, they shot themselves in the foot big time, the powers that be that is, not the man in the street, they r suffering big time

and yes, im still rocking but in blighty and the occasional trip to espana

miss the old days in albox tho, it was great, ejay has got it completely wrong, it was full of allsorts, lithos, bulgarians, ecuadorians, argies, proper melting pot and i loved it
ejay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejay hasn't got it wrong one bit!!!!,....(que enter cab2 I guarentee it!!!!0 icon_rolleyes.gif ),......I am the first to admit that many Spanish both private land owners and those in the public eye made money from the Brits (lots of it!!),....but what they didn't bargain for 'or want', is that the majority of those 'new Brits' would turn the whole place into a mini England/Britain call it what you will!!!!,.....but that is exactly what has happened!!!!!! icon_evil.gif

You must remember that years ago when the first Brits/Americans/Germans/Belgiuns arrived in Mojacar (or, the area!!), they 100% involved themselves in the local community and became a big part of it, so much so that if one Spanish person entered the room everyone began to speak (or as best they could) Spanish !!,..this was out of respect for the Native population,.....but what do you get now???,....."the Spanish are expected to read and speak English, because if they dont then no bugger in a 'typical' Brit bar can serve them because they can't understand them in their own Country!!!!!!!",...........and that is out of order, and the route cause of many problems!!,........."it wouldn't be alowed to happen here in the UK as well you know, so why do you believe it is ok for it to happen in Spain ???????????????? icon_confused.gif"

http://www.myartprofile.com/Ejay

http://poetrypoem.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?poemnumber=1086027&sitename=ejayhughes&poemoffset=0&displaypoem=t&item=poetry
bigbaz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what u r saying is exactly what happened in albox, most people i knew there spoke spanish, mixed with the spanish etc, but if people r spending their money and want to make it british that is their right, there is no law against it, i used to work in london a lot, full of turks mainly, turkish bars, turkish shops, turkish clubs, a mini turkey, whats the difference, if they didnt want a mini britain they shouldnt have taken their money, its europe dont forget, we r supposed to be able to go where we like, i saw somewhere here that u used to sing with gary goode, how many spanish bars did u used to sing in, how many spanish songs did u sing, u dont have to answer, i know what the answer is. My last year living in spain was 2010, i reckon especially in mojacar i played in more non brit bars. u should go back now, all the brits have gone, you would love it,
ejay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will answer you Baz !!,...yes I did sing with Garry but we were never 'an act' !!!,...Garry had been a friend for many years, and after he finished with Pete Novak, he then teamed with Barry, and they were great together!! icon_wink.gif , and yes they played a few Brit bars but also many Spanish bars also!!,...but when Garry went solo because he was a mate and I knew his heart was not in good shape, I would help him whenever I could to carry his equipment into the gig, and then return to help him clear up!!,..I guess I was an unpaid roadie!!,....but because Gaz knew that I sang if I stayed for a beer he would always invite me up for a number or two!!!!,.....and in answer to your point, Gary sang mostly in Spanish bars both in Mojacar and Roquetas, the exeptions being Captains Bar for John and Ellaine, and occasionaly Music Musica for Ruth and Lennie!!! icon_cool.gif

But for you to say that "if they want to make it British that is their right",....I'm sorry Baz but that is the very attitude that is causing the problems!!!!! icon_eek.gif ,......for sure if you want to create a 'Brit' quarter in any town I'm sure no one would create much fuss,...but to transform the whole town (and not just Albox) into a mini Brittain is an insult!!!!!,...we have as you well know here in Uk China Towns in most major Cities,..they are great for the Chinese and locals alike to sample another way of life and they fit perfect into the community, we also have areas that are almost soley Muslim, but they are areas and not the whole town!!!!,....sadly what we see the 'newer' influx of Brits doing is everything that they would 'freak out' at in the UK if Foreigners did it here, and that is taking over the town !!!!!!,......."there is room for everyone, but only with respect!!!!" icon_wink.gif

http://poetrypoem.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?poemnumber=1086027&sitename=ejayhughes&poemoffset=0&displaypoem=t&item=poetry
bigbaz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately everybody i ever met outside of albox had an opinion about albox, especially in mojacar, yes there were a lot of brits round the outskirts of albox, especially arboleas but the centre of albox was always very spanish. I personally mixed a lot with spanish, that was my choice, so did my family but if people r paying they have a choice to do what they want, if they buy a house just for the sun, have no interest in spanish culture surely thats up to them, pays your money and takes your choice.

anyway, good argument init

i met garry a few times, nice bloke
cab2
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="ejay"]Ejay hasn't got it wrong one bit!!!!,....(que enter cab2 I guarentee it!!!!0 icon_rolleyes.gif ),......I am the first to admit that many Spanish both private land owners and those in the public eye made money from the Brits (lots of it!!),....but what they didn't bargain for 'or want', is that the majority of those 'new Brits' would turn the whole place into a mini England/Britain call it what you will!!!!,.....but that is exactly what has happened!!!!!! icon_evil.gif

?"[/quote]

I'd hate to disappoint you, so here I am, I've read your posts making the same point over and over again, badly I might add! and I've come to the conclusion that you are either a Daily Mail reader and believe everything you read OR you are watching too many Benidorm repeats. icon_lol.gif It's been a while since you lived in Spain so it really is difficult for you to have a view of what really is happening, Personally speaking I don't know anyone who "expects" the Spanish to speak English, maybe in the tourist areas yes, but not in inland towns and villages, neither do I know of whole villages or towns that have been taken over completely by the Brits in the way you are suggesting, most British people are respectful of the Spanish way of life, of course as in any community you will get people who want to do their own thing and live their own life, so nothing is ever quite as black and white as you would like to protray. so you can continue to rant and rave from your perch in Blackpool, but it doesn't really change what is actually happening in the real world.
bigbaz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put cab2
alboxian
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arboleas,Limaria spring to mind,not very spanish really,considering a few years back,outskirts of Albox,mostly Brits.Mojacar Playa,little britain.You pays your money and takes your choice.Lets be honest,we Brits aren't the best intergraters going,but we soon complain when foriegners do it in our country.Where ever you choose to live should be an individual thing,taking the most from the experience.Never been to blackpool,but I don't have an opinion on it cause I ain't been or lived there.
ejay
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icon_razz.gif icon_razz.gif "you wouldn't want to live in Blackpool trust me!!!!!! icon_razz.gif "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Albox & Area All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: