Almeria Travel Mate

Spanish Phrase Book

TV Guide

Contact Us

Advertise

Web Sites

Estate & Rental Agents

Sponsored Links

Viva-Almeria :: View topic - Restaurant Stupidity or GREED?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages

Restaurant Stupidity or GREED?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Please Note that these forums are for discussion, not advertising. If you'd like to advertise or recommend companies, free listings and member reviews can be created in the Viva Directory. Adverts and recommendations will be removed from the forum without notice.

However, it's perfectly acceptable to send a PM to anyone that asks for a recommendation.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tallgreygeezer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Restaurant Stupidity or GREED? Reply with quote

Not wishing to battle the traffic on Mojacar Playa, I chose to eat in Turre at the Argentinean Restaurant on the main street.

The food was OK, steak cooked as asked and tasty. BUT, at the end we felt that it was NOT value for money for what are simple but irritating things, but typical of the attitude prevelant in the area.

With an expensive main course (Steak) you would expect to get a full or a proper meal. BUT NO, chips were 2.50 euros a portion extra, vegetables the same. So the 18 euro steak is now 23 eurosl We enjoyed it so you may ask, why complain?

But WHY? do restaurants do this? Chips and veg are cheap so no big deal to include them in the main meal. It seems so pointless, we will not go back so their short term gain, is wasted as we will eat elsewhere now.
Bread and alioli are served without asking and charged for.

Plus the menu was a total mess, badly laid out and confusing, not user friendly, therefore pointless and a wasted opportunity.

No doubt restaurants of this ilk will scratch their heads and puzzle at the empty seats, as they contemplate closing down.

Another table had four adults and two children, that was it for the 2 hours we were there.

In contrast, Adelinas, at the other end of Turre, was heaving tables full and people waiting for tables. There main meals include veg and potatoes, and prices are mid range.

So maybe petty, in some peoples eyes, but there are excellent eateries around offering value for money without the trickery.
View users profile Send private message
hartcjhart
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in spain for mayn years veg was only for poor people, hence a ruddy great lump of meat and no veg to show you were moneyed,
I had the same in Bilbao in a top hotel, ordered steak, and thats what came, when I asked for some pots/veg they looked at me as if i was mad
jimbob
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey tallgreygeezer
It's the age old August tradition of 'It's Summer so let's rip the tourists off',so do as we do,vote with your feet and don't go there again.Job done.
Adeybrown
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem you have in the area is that many of the restaurants are run by people who have hardly any industry experience (Spanish and non spanish).

Richard Shepherd set up his restaurant and it was always busy, mainly because he just did basic things that any self respecting experienced head chef or restauranteur would do. He had a basic amount of experience and it really stood out in comparison to the rest in the area.

What surprises me about most restaurants in the Almeria area is that they fail to just deliver a simple modern menu. It often looks like something out of a British 1980's greasy spoon diner, ham, egg, chips - Squid rings and chips, pork loin and chips, burger and chips, steak and chips etc etc. It is as if they are blind to the fact that the British tourist has moved on in terms of what most of us eat. If you look at most UK towns nowadays the food available is pretty varied and sophisticated.....and a lot healthier than it was 20 years ago.
But then I suppose the Costa Almeria area of Spain is pretty backwards compared to most of Europe.
jimbob
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ever I am always amazed by how spoilt and lucky we are with the choice of international foods that we are able to buy in the supermarkets in the UK.I just happened to look at the Morrisons shop online website today and they had an amazing range of Tapas dishes including Spanish stuffed olives,Seron ham and Manchego cheese croquetas,albondigas and a full range of Spanish cured meats to mention just a few and even a block of Manchego cheese at a reasonable price.The thing is us Brits are and always have been great travellers of the world,we travel to far flung places,taste their foods and then when we return we like to re-live that culinary experience and the supermarkets have responded to our needs.We have in the past visited British oriented Restaurants whilst in Spain and have paid for the experience but next time we are going to look to see where the Spanish dine.Any recommendations in the Vera area will be gratefully received.
BrianMc
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we go to the gnome feliz Puerto Rey at then roundabout going to Mercadona.
The new owners are Spanish and have been running it for over a year now.
10 euro for a 3 course meal day or night. With other different choices of food. (drink not included).
Think they serve food from 12-3 during day and 7-11 or 12 night.
Drink prices very good 1.60 for a brandy to finnish.
tallgreygeezer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove past there today on the way to Mercadona, I will give it a try.

Reason why we have avoided it to-date, was due to the shabby treatment received by the previous tenant, by the landlord and Bank.

However that is not the fault of the new people and we will give them a go!
JEEPER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Local bars & restaurants Reply with quote

I have just returned from Garrucha, my first visit for 3 years, & have got to say that there are still lots of nice traditional Tapas bars offering very good value. A particular mention to cafeteria Bounty on Calle Mayor, the staff are very friendly, the food is good (fried egg with combinados. If thats what you want?) and very reasonable, 6 adults & 3 teenagers, with meals, rationes, coffees, some beers, tinto, water ,soft drinks & coffes for just over e100.. Still get a beer & Taps for e1.50. There are still lots of these places, but I thought this one was particularly worth a mention.
tallgreygeezer
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned beer at 1.50, now there is something wrong that a coke costa 1.8o or 2 euros, but beer is cheaper? I assume that beer is subject to a tax/ duty of some sort. That being so, the soft drink companies are making a lot of margin, cos soft drinks are easier to produce than brewing beer.
JEEPER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only a beer for e1.50, but a nice fresh Tapas as well icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
jimbob
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to check this place out in October,the Mrs is always on about going in there.
BrianMc
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to say the gnome is closed on tuesdays
JEEPER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbob wrote:
I'm definitely going to check this place out in October,the Mrs is always on about going in there.

Enjoy, a nice bottle of Mahou. Morcilla a la plancha, and then perhaps a ration of Mejillones Rellenos, I am getting jealous already.
jimbob
Advanced
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! OH YES! WOO HOO!
JEEPER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JEEPER"]
jimbob wrote:

I would be interested in what you thought when you've tried the place out Jimbob, as very few brits go in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Viva-Almeria Forum Index -> Mojacar & Area All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: